Piracy and armed robbery threats against ships are among the modern-day challenges found within the maritime industry. These threats are dynamic and recent threats have been noted especially off the West African coast. These attacks keep reminding the industry about the violence of such actions and the extreme hazards faced by those onboard including the dangers to loss of life. Therefore, it is of utmost importance for crew and shipmasters to know the reporting systems and assistance in place and understand the procedures to be followed to avoid such threats.
Upon completion of this course, the candidate will gain knowledge and understanding of the threats imposed on ships by piracy and armed robbery.
The learning outcomes of the Course will include;
1. Introduction to Piracy and Armed Robbery.
2. Understanding the use of Risk Assessment.
3. Understanding the importance of the Reporting Systems in place.
4. Knowledge of the Ship Protection Measures taken onboard.
5. Comprehension of the importance of Contingency Plans onboard.