Shallow Water Effects present errors in manoeuvring which if unnoticed are extremely dangerous and can lead to grounding or collision. During this course, Bernoulli ́s Principle, Squat, Bank Effect including Bank Suction and Bow Cushion and Interaction will be discussed in detail in addition to the actions that should be taken by a ship in order to avoid disasters resulting from these Effects. Therefore, this course aims to help seafarers recognise when these effects are acting on their vessel and the proper actions to be taken in different circumstances.
This course will help prospective seafarers and those already sailing to understand Shallow Water Effects and the risks that come with them, in addition to the actions to be taken in various circumstances.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to understand or refresh their knowledge on Shallow Water Effects and how to recognize and act when these are encountered.
The learning outcomes of this Course will include;
1. Introduction to Shallow Water Effects
2. Bernoulli ́s Principle.
3. Application of Bernoulli ́s Principle on Ships when navigating in a narrow channel or shallow waters.
4. Tell-tale signs and Precautions of Squat.
5. Tell-tale signs and Precautions of Bank Effect.
6. Tell-tale signs and Precautions of Interaction.
7. Tell-tale signs and Precautions of Bow Cushion Effect in Sharp Bends.
Are you sure to perform this action?