Hydrogen sulphide(H2S) is a colorless gas usually recognized by its smell of rotten eggs. However, the smell cannot be relied upon since H2S affects the sense of smell upon exposure. Dangerous concentrations of this gas may be present onboard ships due to cargoes or even chemicals onboard. It is extremely important for crew members regardless of rank, working onboard ships to understand the hazards imposed by such a gas and the procedures to be followed in order to avoid such dangers.
Upon completion of this course, the candidate will understand and gain knowledge and awareness on the dangers imposed by hydrogen sulphide (H2S) and how to prevent such hazards, and if need be respond to an emergency.
The learning objectives of this course will include,
- Understanding what hydrogen sulphide is and where it is found onboard ships,
- Gain knowledge of the risks and hazards imposed by hydrogen sulphide,
- Be aware of the common symptoms of exposure to such gas,
- Understand precautions put in place when hydrogen sulphide might be present,
- Gain knowledge of the action to be taken in such an emergency including medical response.