Anchoring is one of the most frequent operations carried out onboard different types of ships. It is an extremely important and dangerous procedure which requires full knowledge and understanding in addition to proper training. Several factors influence the anchoring operation and various methods are used to ensure best results. With that said, it is of paramount importance for all crew members regardless of rank, to know the proper procedures and use of equipment during such operation.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will have full knowledge and understanding of the equipment used and the proper procedure for anchoring a ship.
The following topics will be discussed in detail during the Course;
1. Introduction to Anchoring
2. Types and Parts of the Anchors used onboard
3. Anchoring Equipment and Machinery
4. Anchoring operation
5. How do Anchors hold ships
6. Loaded vessel vs. Light vessel
7. Importance of the Seabed
8. Heaving Anchor
9. Windlass maintenance on ships